Granite is one of the most popular types of stone used in architecture, construction and decoration. Its dense grain makes it highly resistant to scratching and staining. Here you have 10 interesting facts to know about granite that will surely surprise you!
1.Granite is the main component that makes up the Earth’s continental crust.
2. Granite is one of the hardest substances in the world. The only material that is harder than this natural stone is a diamond.
3. The pattern and colour of every piece of this natural stone is unique. All slabs are different because they have different formations and compositions.
4. This natural stone is built from volcanic magma so it can tolerate temperatures of around 100 °C.
5. Blue and red are the world’s rarest colors of granites. They are predominantly white, yellow or gray in color. The production of blue and red colors is very limited.
6. This natural stone was first exploited by the Egyptians with the building of their great temples and obelisks. The temple complex of Amun-Ra at Luxor is home to the obelisk of Hatsheput. It is said to have taken just seven months to carve from a single block of this rock.
7. The largest solid granite building in the world is the Palacio de San Lorenzo de El Escorial, in Madrid (Spain).
8. Mount Airy is the world’s largest open-faced granite quarry. Nicknamed The Granite City, it is located in North Carolina (USA).
9. Granite is considered an eco-friendly product because it doesn’t emit harmful gases or contain chemicals. Production and quarrying processes are more responsible than ever. This renewable resource can be reused for all types of cladding and flooring.
10. This natural stone is more affordable than you might think. You should keep in mind that prices vary depending on where you live, the size of your project and the quality and finish you choose.
For further informations about granite, check CUPA STONE website.